Tuesday, January 10, 2012

French Onion and Apple Soup

Recipe 1 - January 10th, 2012

Fizzle.

This recipe comes from Cooking Light, March 2011
Chef: Nicolette Manescalchi

Maybe I should not have started this adventure with a recipe that takes 2 hours and 10 minutes?!  This recipe is a nice variation on French Onion soup, but the time it took was not worth it compared to the time it takes for my regular favorite French Onion soup recipe (from the How to Cook Everything cookbook).  It tasted fine although there was not much broth after simmering for 45 minutes.  I really liked the added apple slices and apple cider and the caramelized onions.  I will try adding them to my regular recipe.  I made it with Gruyere cheese, cut the recipe to a third (the linked recipe serves 10), and finally used up all my CSA onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment